February 6, 2011

Releases for February

     A few interesting releases are scheduled for February. First up - ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead on the 8th. This is an album I will definitely write something on. Trail of Dead's last three releases really impressed me. It was - Worlds Apart(2005) that first sparked my interest in the band and is still, I feel, their most memorable album. They seem to be heading into a more progressive rock area than their first three albums. The new album - Tao of the Dead has two members less that the previous releases and promises to be a more guitar orientated progressive rock album. Look out for a review later this week.

And then on the 15th we'll see the new PJ Harvey. I loved - Is this Desire?(1998)  and - Stories from the Cities, Stories from the Sea(2000), but nothing since then has really impressed me much. A woman a man walked by(2009) with John Parish had it's moments but overall not a solid album. I'm hoping to be impressed by Let England Shake this month.

Also on the 15th another one of the Sonic Youth Recordings (SYR) series. SYR is not studio releases by Sonic Youth but more experimental, usually instrumental or in languahes other than english albums. I enjoyed Andre Sider Af Sonic Youth (2008) and am looking forward to Simon Werner a Disparu. It is a soundtrack done for the french film of the same name directed by Fabrice Gobert. The soundtrack is already available for digital download at:
http://www.midheaven.com/item/simon-werner-a-disparu-by-sonic-youth-cd

Overall it looks to be a good month.

V